Sunday, August 22, 2010

The Song Within

I'd like to think I know a little bit about child development, seeing as how I have been around small children my whole life thanks to mom's day care; and the fact that I've always loved children; and the fact I've been a kinder teacher for six years; and the fact that I have a Master's in stinking Early Childhood; and the fact that I have a 13-month old. My credentials being listed however, still don't quite prepare you for the amazement your child can bring on a day to day basis. Case in point-playing music while you're pregnant really does have an effect (affect-never sure which one to use!) on your child when they are out of your safe havened uterus!
From the moment I found out I was pregnant I played music for Malachi. I was one of those pregnant moms who walked around the apartment with my ipod and headphones wrapped around my midsection. In the beginning Malachi was listening to my marathon running pump-up music which might explain why it felt like he was running a marathon most days :) but as I downloaded more, he was calmed by mostly Christian songs, Lauryn Hill and Bob Marley. In fact, while I was in labor I had Lauryn Hill, Bob Marley and Jill Scott on a constant cd rotation. Anyways, in my car every morning I started with "Zion" by Lauryn Hill and would sing it at the top of my lungs to Malachi-I would insert his name when Lauryn so beautifully put her son's name. We would then switch over to 89.3-Houston's Christian music station- and sing along with all of the radio messages. And as for Bob-anything would work I mean c'mon it's Bob Marley :)

So about a month after Malachi was born he was having a really fussy day and none of my calming techniques were working at all. I decided to try playing the ipod next to him with the
volume turned up loud enough for him to hear it-he was immediately soothed!

This was my saving grace many many times from that point on. I also came to the realization that he knew his Lauryn Hill song-I would play it for him in the car and he would stop whatever he was doing and just turn his face up like he recognized the sounds. Okay, so maybe it was all a big coincidence but I'd like to think it really was the synapses in his brain connecting together and saying "hey, we know that sound-pay attention!" :)

He loves music time and dances around really well with the other kids in the day care, even clapping on beat. At first he did the usual bouncing up and down no matter what the tempo was but now he's actually swaying slowly when the music is slowed down. And church? Let's just say Malachi goes to nursery late every Sunday because he loves to be with us at the beginning when its music time. He dives from my arms to his Gigi's arms and just sings and claps and sways with the best of them.

This past weekend really convinced me of his musicality though-read further I know you're so excited! Saturday was a great day for he and I, after having a full week of work we got to reconnect with just the two of us. In the early evening we went to play at the park and while we were there I kept hearing some really great praise and worship songs being sung. We decided to investigate and came upon an outdoor amphitheater where an African-American church was holding service-singing and all. Malachi was completely taken and wanted to hear more so we walked up and sat on the back bench. A few members were really sweet and came up to us offering free hot dogs and gave us fans because it was a bit warm. Malachi didn't want any of that, he wanted out of his stroller. So I let him out thinking I'd hold him on my lap. Yeah right! He wanted down and he wanted to groove! As soon as he was out of my grasp he took off down the center aisle clapping his hands and dancing around. The members were all smiling and admiring this little baby who was thoroughly enjoying himself. On the other hand, there I was-noticeably a white girl with red hair-sitting on the back row wondering if I should get my child or let him celebrate. I let him celebrate because he was just so dang cute! The singers would say-"Give Jesus a hand clap" and Malachi would clap his hands. The singers would say- "lift your hands for Jesus" and Malachi would stretch both of his arms in the air. Did I mention how cute he was being. AND THEN-he decided he couldn't hear from way in the back so he marched himself all the way to the front of this amphitheatre and stood right in front of the stage, dancing. And I mean really dancing. He was turning circles and everything, even started beating on the speakers like he was playing the drums. I didn't get any pictures because I was just so amazed watching him and wondering if he knew what he was doing-pretty sure he did.

He brought so many smiles to so many people that night, I loved that he was able to join in! And on top of it all, we got to hear some really wonderful praise and worship singing!

By the way, working has been good. My class of 20 five year olds are definitely checking to see what I'm about, but it has been a great start to a new school year!

No comments:

Post a Comment